Tuesday, January 20, 2009

End of Day Three

Well, the conference ended today. I gave my third and last session entitled Composing with Sibelius Notation Software. I gave the session twice with 30+ in each session. The teachers here are so positive. It was great to speak with them. Everyone is eager to learn new ideas and not threatened by technology. I also like being called "Brilliant." As I mentioned in an earlier post, "Brilliant" down under is like saying "good job" in the states.

The other very cool aspect of the conference was a focus on acoustic, traditional music with an emphasis on how technology can support it. Unlike the TI:ME conferences ion the states where we often focus on tech ensemble performances, this was a refreshing change.

I got a ride back and forth from the hotel from the owner of one of three companies who support music technology in Australia. We only have one in the entire US - SoundTree. He had a new Lexus and it was cool watching the video screen when he backed up and the awesome GPS that is built in. The GPS even worked when we passed under a long 3-mile tunnel. Impressive.

Today, I woke up at 6:00 am and I am now officially on Aussie time. Now I have to manage my time on the way back so I get sleep at the right time so I can make it to Haverford to teach on Friday. That may be a challenge. I check out tomorrow morning, to the Melbourne airport and I leave on Quantas for LA at 12:00 noon. Then, the 5 hour flight from LA to Philly. Because I am picking up the 12 hours lost on the way here, I leave at 12:00 noon in Melbourne and arrive at 7:10 p.m. in Philly. Amazing stuff.

1 comment: