Monday, January 19, 2009

Australia Day Two - Day one of Tech Conference

There were about 200 people at my keynote address. I spoke for about 50 minutes. They were attentive and fortunately, they laughed at most of my jokes. I wasn't sure if my US jokes would work in Australia. The most laughter I got was my story about how to get more kids to sign up for tuba: change the instrument name from tuba to sousaphone. At least 2-3 kids will mistake it for saxophone and sign up for it. This is actually a real story told to me by a Haverford kid many years ago.

I also attended some excellent sessions. Interesting, that this is one of the few music technology conferences I have presented that was only about technology. After my session, one attendee came up and simply said "Brilliant." I was really impressed with that remark until I realized that in Australia, the word Brilliant is like saying "well done" or "good job" back in the states.

The food is much better than my 1988 visit. The hotel food and the conference food are both very good. The one strange thing was for breakfast they had French toast with Syrup, but there was no syrup to be had. So, I had scrambled eggs.

The bummer was the wireless network was not working, so I could not listen to the end of the Eagles game. I had to wait until I got home for that. Well, I found out the bad news. Bummer for us Eagles fans.

No comments:

Post a Comment